Site Meter

Choose your own adventure

Thursday, November 15, 2007

jobs

Almost three years ago my mom and I were walking through a neighborhood in the "big city". At the time I was working a crap job, only half way through my education and feeling pretty defeated about life. As we walked past rows of houses my mom questioned ( in a motherly way that cut me to the core) "Houses are so expensive. How are you ever going to afford one?" Choking back tears and anger I replied "I'm not going to be stuck at this job forever; eventually I'll graduate from college and get a better paying job."

Fast forward to a month ago (actually the day after the jerk professor episode in my previous post) I was offered a job that paid 12k more than my mom currently makes. I doubt she remembers our conversation from three years ago but I felt a cold, sick, sense of pride that I was being offered more in an beginning accounting job than she has ever made.

However I turned the job down (for a variety of reasons). I hope and pray I'm making the right decision.

My current employer still wants me to stay "What will it take for you to stay?" was their question last week. It's a great position for me to be in and I'm extremely thankful. But how do I tell them tactfully "a lot more than you can offer"

School is out in three weeks. Boy did I have my doubts that I'd ever make it this far.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Three weeks! Woohoo!!! We've come so far...

Good luck with your job search. I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

4:30 PM, November 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter