Site Meter

Choose your own adventure

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Count me down but not out

For the past two years I've had, for the most part, excellent professors. Many of whom are tenured but still have the excitement, zest, and love of teaching like those of first year teachers.

Except Mr. J.

He's old, crotchety, bitterly divorced, arrogant, and loves to see kids fail. He is everything a teacher shouldn't be. One that's in it for the summer vacation and long holidays.

I've been struggling with his class from the beginning. I went to him for help during office hours. Three different visits and he's only been there once. I've emailed him numerous times and he's only resonded once.

I failed the second test.

His response "it's too late to drop the class isn't it? You've already paid your tuition haven't you? Well I guess I'll see you next semester."

No you won't.


I asked for a tutor. He was aghast and then said he'd line up some hours with his assistant. "your TA?" I asked. The one you've never told the class about?
I asked if there would be any extra credit. "yeah, but it probably won't help you that much"

It's as if he wants me to fail.

Not showing up for your office hours. Not answering student emails. Telling students they failed and they might as well throw in the towel now; with 50% of the tests still on the table.

I'm down but I'm not out.

I'll pass his class in December.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Good for you to be so determined! Don't let him get you down... I think profs often take their problems out on the poor students. Steely determination wins every time!

9:23 AM, November 05, 2007  
Blogger Kate said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:03 PM, November 10, 2007  
Blogger Kate said...

Thank you Robin.

I'm determined! I met with his TA a few times already and she is the most supportive, best TA around. How she got paired up with him boggles my mind. Poor girl! :)

7:03 PM, November 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter