Site Meter

Choose your own adventure

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Uncle G

Last night I received a call from my mom. She prefaced it by saying "I have some bad news" and I immediately assumed it had to do with my Grandma. I was shocked when she told me my Uncle had passed away. Too shocked to say anything else I said "what?" and my mom, in a "slow motion" way of talking replied "U-n-c-l-e G d-i-e-d."

Unexpectedly

Alone

In his house

His body was sent to the coroner this morning to find out the cause of death.

My cousin, his only son, just lost his mother a few years ago. He's only 36, he's an only child and lives 2000 miles away on the east coast. 2000 miles away from us, the rest of the family.

I am heartbroken and lost and don't know what to do. And yet I want to reach out to support them. I'll head down there later this week.

The boyfriend came over to support me last night. He is good and nice and wonderful. But totally an engineer in that his support for touchy topics is almost invisible. He admitted this and we laughed.

I slept on the floor part of the night b/c I just wanted to be alone.

My bosses are amazing. I emailed them last night when I got the news. J replied immediately and said "take as much time as you need". C called this morning, concerned and asked if he could do anything for us. We prayed, he listened. They are amazingly wonderful.

My family is rallying around, supporting each other. My grandma, 92 years old this summer, didn't find out till this morning. My aunt wanted to make sure she had received her blood pressure medicine and was stable before they told her.

I can think of little else that could hurt as badly as burying your own children.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

My condolences to your family.

9:22 PM, April 25, 2007  
Blogger Kate said...

Thank you Robin.
They're doing much better. Its still fresh and painful and miserable. But we're making our way through.
Final cause of death was a heart attack.
Cousin is still in town, he leaves tomorrow to fly back to the east coast.

1:18 PM, May 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter